Friday, September 2, 2011

Dear Diary

Describing the effects that things that don't exist have on the characters is rather difficult. But it is very important.

Five seconds into the new Portrait album Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae I was thinking it was the best album ever. After listening to it a half-dozen times, it's merely very very good. "Must-have for all fans of 80s Metal and MERCYFUL FATE lunatics!" says the promo sticker on the front, and it's accurate.

 Falconer's Armod is not bad (the band is best when charging and at its worst when folking, but they folk off a lot), and ICS Vortex's Storm Seeker is, on first listen, rather dull. Unfortunate, since the idea of a Simen Hestnaes solo album was what drew me to the CD store to begin with. Hopefully it will be a grower.

I'll be Tampere tomorrow and Sunday for Tracon. Come say hi, play a game, and/or buy something. For added punk cred, I have no ride home, which will be interesting with a (hopefully) half-full box of merch.

I don't like this new Blogger interface.

3 comments:

  1. "Describing the effects that things that don't exist have on the characters is rather difficult. But it is very important."

    In the new module proposal that my wife & I are working on, we're dealing with lots of that very issue.

    I hope we're not doing something much like you already are. :o\

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...I'll have to look up Portrait. Can't stand Falconer, though...every song just reminds me of the minstrel from Holy Grail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portrait isn't too bad, thanks for the referral. Only problem was that it made me want to listen to Mercyful Fate. ;)
    I like ICS Vortex better in Borknagar, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete